Officer of the day duties
MMYC OFFICER OF THE DAY
OOD DUTIES & PROCEEDURES – CHECKLIST 2016-17
1/ The OOD should arrive at least 2 hours before the posted race time. ie for a 2pm start you should be at the Club by 12 noon. In anticipation please read carefully the SAILING INSTRUCTIONS as available on the website & in the Handbook.
2. Upon arrival, unlock all beach gates, open and fasten and unlock clubhouse doors if necessary.
3. Hoist Australian Flag on northern pole and Club Burgee (white half uppermost) on adjacent pole. Flags are located in the tower. See either committee or rescue boat member to unlock tower. Write your name on the whiteboard as OOD.
4. DELEGATE ASSISTANTS to carry out the following:-
a/ empty rubbish bins into wheely bin, Replace liners in emptied bins.
b/ inspect both change rooms and toilets for paper and soap. Replenish from stores located in the labelled cupboard in the kitchen.
c/ sweep concrete paths free of sand before boats start rigging.
d/ sweep rubber beach mats free of sand.
e/ check supplies of tea, coffee, cordial and biscuits. Fill chilled water container in fridge. Replenish supplies from supply cupboard..
5. Switch on radio (ch72) & select LOW power. (Instructions under radio) Carry out radio checks with patrol boats Dusty, Macaw & Noel Cass.
6.Binoculars are stored on the shelf above the computer
7.Assemble Race Management Forms from sleeves in white Ring Binder on bench.
8. Place Sign On Instructions in Perspex, Change of Details Form & Sailors Declaration Form on Sign On Bench.
9. SIGN ON iPADS will either be ready on the bench or will be provided by Scorer at midday. Familiarise youself with how to refresh Sign On screen and how to change to Sign Off screen. (see scorer)
10. A meeting with the Rear Commodore or Rep. & Patrol Boat Captains will be held at 12.30 to discuss courses , safety issues, course shortening and any other matters. Call over PA system for Class Captains, Patrol Boat Skippers & Rear Commodore to attend tower for this meeting.
11. Patrol boats should be on the water 1 hour prior to race and course set 30 minutes before the race assuming there is consistent wind. Patrol boats will advise tower if courses need changing. Liaise with Patrol Boat skippers as to when launching is required and call for launching assistance over PA system.
12. A BRIEFING will be held at 1pm to declare intended courses and any other matters. Remind sailors to Sign On correctly. (See separate briefing checklist.)
13. Ensure front gates are locked before racing commences.
14. Supervise and monitor race from tower. If intending to leave tower at any time please advise the patrol boats and again on your return. Fill out Race Control sheets as applicable.
- It is recommended that at least one person in the Tower is scanning the fleet through binoculars at all times. Any capsize should be reported to the Patrol Boats immediately unless a very quick recovery is observed.
- Monitor rounding marks for drift.
- It is the OOD's responsibility to make any final decision re course shortening or abandonment. Familiarise yourself with Emergency Telephone Numbers.
All boats must be accounted for. Follow these procedures:-
a/ when all boats have left shore, ASCERTAIN FROM "TES ON WATER" ON COMPUTER HOW MANY BOATS SHOULD BE ON THE WATER. CORRELATE THIS WITH ACTUAL BOATS ON WATER. Scorer will advise how to access this screen. Also change Sign On screen to Sign Off screen on iPad
b/ Extra boats not signed on may be able to be identified and monitored.
c/ DNFs or DSQs as noted from the Tower or advised from the water should be noted for the scorer on the "OOD's RECORD OF RETIRING BOATS" sheet as supplied in the white ring binder..
d/ Following the above allows all boats to be accounted for at the end of racing. Patrol boats should remain on water until all boats ashore.
e/ Patrol boate will advise when approaching shore for recovery. Call for recovery assistance over PA.
15. SIGNING OFF. WHEN THE LAST BOAT TO COMPLETE THE COURSE REACHES SHORE, REMIND SAILORS TO SIGN OFF WITHIN 20 MINUTES AND REMIND AGAIN 5 MINUTES BEFORE CUT OFF TIME. Encourage early finishers to Sign Off sooner.
16. OOD COLLECTS SIGN ON/OFF IPAD AT CUT OFF TIME AND DETERMINES ANY DSQ's FROM FAILURES TO SIGN ON/OFF CORRECTLY
17. ENSURE THAT THOSE THAT HAVE NOT SIGNED OFF ARE SAFELY ASHORE. THIS IS AN ESSENTIAL SAFETY REQUIREMENT
18. OOD remains in tower while Scorer enters results to answer any queries that may arise.
19. Complete and file Race Control sheets. File in ring binder on bench under appropriate Series heading..
20. Lower flags and leave on bench for next OOD. Turn off radio. Stow binoculars. Lower window blinds. Leave sliding windows slightly open. DO N OT TURN OFF COMPUTER.